De-cluttering and organization are key aspects of interior design that can help you create a more functional and visually appealing living space for the New Year.
De-cluttering and Organizing your Interior Spaces for the New Year
Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to approach these aspects of interior design:
1. Decluttering Your Home
- Start by going through your belongings room by room, including drawers, closets, and storage areas.
- Use the “keep, donate, discard” rule to decide what items should stay, what can be donated or sold, and what needs to be thrown away.
- Be mindful of sentimental items; consider keeping just a few particularly meaningful pieces.
- Tackle one room at a time to prevent feeling overwhelmed.
- Consider implementing the “one in, then one must go out” rule to maintain clutter-free spaces throughout the year.
2. Home Organization
- Invest in storage solutions tailored to your needs and space. Some examples include:
- Closet organizers: Use shelves, hanging rods, and bins to maximize closet space.
- Kitchen organizers: Install drawer organizers/dividers, pull-out shelves, and pantry organizers to keep your kitchen tidy.
- Floating shelves: These can be installed in various rooms for additional stylish storage and display.
- Label storage containers and bins to make it easy to locate items.
- Utilize under-bed storage, over-door hooks in kids’ closets, and wall-mounted racks to make the most of available space.
- Keep like items together to streamline the organization process, e.g., group kitchen utensils, bathroom products, or office supplies.
- Regularly assess your organizational systems and make adjustments as needed.
- Select furniture that serves multiple purposes, such as sofa beds or cocktail tables with built-in storage space.
- Consider creating designated zones for different activities within a room (e.g., a reading nook, office niche, a casual dining area).
- If you have limited space, prioritize essential furniture and avoid overcrowding the room.
3. Furniture Selection and Placement
- Place furniture strategically to optimize natural light and create a balanced visual composition.
- Ensure there is ample clearance space around furniture for ease of movement.
- Incorporate furniture with built-in storage solutions, such as storage ottomans or drawers under loft beds.
4. Regular Maintenance:
- Make decluttering and organizing a part of your routine. Schedule regular “tidy-up” sessions to prevent and avoid clutter.
- Reevaluate your furniture placement and organization systems periodically to ensure they continue to meet your needs.
By following these guidelines for de-cluttering and organization, you can create a well-organized, functional, and visually pleasing living space for the New Year. If you need professional interior design assistance, please give Foundry Home Interior Design a call; we would be happy to help.
Foundry Home Group – Interior Design Omaha, NE
Finding and creating homes for our clients to live and work within which are functional, comfortable, and equally inspiring is what we do best! Our team focuses on helping our clients accomplish their real estate and design goals with one team of experts. Utilizing our collective skill sets allows us to make a greater impact toward improving the quality of our client’s lives.
If you are looking to buy a home or sell your home in the Omaha metro area, trust our Omaha realtors at Foundry Home Group. Or, if you’re looking for an interior designer in Omaha, we have you covered too! We specialize in new construction, home remodels, furnishings, investment properties, and more!